Running Timelessly

I have definitely gotten my money’s worth out of my AAA membership this year (and my husband’s) because I wound up on the side of the road with a flat tire on my way home from book club tonight. Ugh. The auto shop where they towed my car is within walking distance of my house, so I figured they’d fix it up in the morning and I could be on my way to work. Not quite – they opened at 7:30, couldn’t check my car out until 10:30, and I didn’t get my car back until the afternoon, because I didn’t know the car was ready until a few hours after it was done; the shop called my husband at work to tell him the car was ready, instead of my cell phone, even though I told them to call me and not him. Come on, guys. Get it together.

So I didn’t run today because I wanted to be home when they called that my car was ready. I did paint my nails and catch up on some reading, woohoo. I feel kind of annoyed that I had to take a day off from work and I couldn’t enjoy it because I was sitting around here waiting for a phone call that wasn’t coming. GRR.

I did get to enjoy the weather when I walked over to the shop to pick up my car, then I headed straight to the pharmacy to pick up my allergy medication because I had gone a few days without it, and my sinuses were going to explode. Allergies are evil.  Mainly, I’m allergic to cats, which is hopelessly ironic because I’ve been surrounded by cats my whole life – I grew up with two cats, and we’ve had our Zooey for about 4 years now. I was working at an animal hospital about two years ago, and when I quit there and started a new job sans animals, it was like someone flicked a switch and suddenly: incredible sinus pain and pressure, runny nose, sneezing every fifteen minutes, itchy red eyes, that awful itchy sharp feeling inside my nose that makes me want to punch myself in the face. Went straight home, feeling cranky. Drowsiness is a side effect of the allergy meds, and it hit me in full force – I napped until my husband got home from the gym with dinner. I ate my salad and sandwich and sort of lazed about until 8:30 when I decided to go running.

It was full dark but I was going to stick to the sidewalks in my complex, and for being damn close to Trenton, it’s really not a bad area. I decided to try this Timeless Challenge, no plan, just run based on feel, walk breaks when I need them, you know. It was the first time I ever ran at night and it was kind of awesome. It’s so quiet and beautiful outside – even the grass seemed greener in the lamplight. and the weather was so fantastic. Barely a chill. I made it a short run because, although my allergy symptoms are just about gone now, the sinuses were still acting up and I was getting sort of halfway between lightheaded and headache-y.

I didn’t pay attention to my watch for the first bit of my run, and it did seem like I ran better. I was able to focus more on what was going on in my own head.  I ran freely with the wind in my hair. *brushes hair out of eyes and keeps running* Walk breaks were just long enough to recover some energy and give me the oomph for my next burst of speed. Somehow I need to hide my watch somewhere other than my wrist because I am too tempted to keep checking it, and it is just too distracting. I need to like, wrap it around the strap of my sports bra or something. Hey, that’s not a bad idea.

5K this weekend!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s