Dash for Duchenne 5K: Lots of Recap

Today was my first 5K of the summer! First off, to answer your most burning question…. no, no PR for me today. At least I don’t think I did. I snuck out after they started the awards ceremony and didn’t wait to see if they’d post finish times. I started my watch a few seconds early and forgot to turn it off as I crossed the finish line, so it told me I went 3.22 miles in 22:45. Crossing the finish line, the clock said something around 50:20. I went for the sprint when the finish line was in sight, and by sprinting, I mean heavy stomping accompanied by heavy breathing. Too bad the race wasn’t chip-timed, that seems so much more accurate. But of course, I am just proud of myself for finishing strong!

Also throwing off the swing of things today, there was a regatta crew rowing thing happening at the lake in the park, and they were setting up their boats and thing pretty much right on the 5K course, so the course had to be changed last moment. They still did a very good job with volunteers everywhere, pointing you in the right directions. It seemed they had everything set up really well: music at the start, quick & easy sign in, a new t-shirt! And a raffle for watches and an entry into a half marathon (which I did not enter to win, I’m not crazy), physical therapists to stretch the runners before and after the race, and an upbeat warmup routine to get everybody pumped up. Even though they had to alter their course, that didn’t throw anything off too much. They had bagels and bananas and Clif bars and Aspirin at the end, and lots of water and fruity-type juices, and although I would have liked a cold water (all the drinks had been sitting out since the beginning of the race and had gotten a little lukewarm) at that point, I was taking whatever they were handing out and I was happy about it.

Also, I tried a Clif bar for the first time in my life, and they’re pretty good.

So how did the race go for me personally? Pretty good!

Mile 1: 14:52, Mile 2: 17:17, Mile 3: 17:07. How on earth I ran the third mile faster than the second mile is like asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop – the world may never know.

Wait, Mile 1: 14:52? I RAN A MILE IN UNDER FIFTEEN MINUTES! I made this one of my goals over the winter, and I think this is the first time I’ve done it when I wasn’t running speed intervals. AND a big chunk of this first mile was slightly uphill enough to be difficult. Oh, actually about half of this race was uphill. I don’t really train on hills, but after this race I’m starting to consider adding more hill work to my training. Actually, I’m considering adding a lot more intensity to my training in general- I have to get back on track with strength workouts, and I have to quit being afraid to walk during my regular weekly runs if I need to. I did so much better when I didn’t have my eyes glued to the GPS watch. Actually, at about 41 minutes I checked my watch and I think I had over half a mile left, and I thought there was no way I was going to make it in 50 minutes (which was my reach goal) so I switched the display to just the time of day so I wouldn’t be tempted to sneak a peek. Based on that, I’m surprised I crossed the finish line when I did.

The other thing I wasn’t prepared for was the heat – Ugh! My shirt was black, and I absolutely love the cut and fit of it, but I was cooking like a Thanksgiving turkey. I am going out like ASAP to look for something that’s not so dark. For real, I think I got sunburned.

The race was tough, but not hard. The uphill sections were a bit of a challenge and obviously, I walked a bit. I felt really good on the whole first mile. I’m glad I stopped off at the water station at around half a mile, because the water station at a mile and a half had run out of water. Oops! The second mile put us on a trail with some wet sections, and then onto the grass to run around the rowers and their boats. That bit was uphill and I did walk most of it; although I was trying to push myself mentally, I just stopped running. It was better for me in the third mile, once I was back on the paved sections. I better start varying my training terrain.

My foot fell asleep only once – I stopped around 1.5 miles and just slipped my foot out of my shoe and back in, and then it didn’t bother me the whole rest of the race. Thank God – that usually slows me down more than being tired or whatever else.

I had a friend running the race and she had finished like, way before me and was waiting near the finish line when I got there. There were also lots of volunteers along the way cheering people on, and one family in a car stuck in the jam caused by our race that shouted encouragement out their windows to me. My husband had to work so he couldn’t come to the race, but he bought me flowers to congratulate me on a job well done. =)

OK, I’m tired. I’m going to bed.



7 thoughts on “Dash for Duchenne 5K: Lots of Recap

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s