The Brody Hydock 5K: Killer Hill & other musings

Yesterday my sister and I ran the Brody Hydock 5K in a little park in Morristown, NJ. The weather was clear and cool, a blessing in comparison to the hot, sticky days we had last week. Finally feels like the heat is going to break and fall will be here soon.

We got there about an hour early and picked up our shirts and bibs, walked and stretched a bit. I was sore from a really tough workout at the beginning of the week – a really fast run and lots of lunges and squats and what the hell was I thinking, five days before a race?

I hate that time right before a race is starting, those ten-fifteen minutes when you’re sort of chomping at the bit to get going. Not enough time to really do anything, but too much time to do nothing. This race was a little weird – they had a 5K run and a 1 mile family walk. They only gave race bibs to the runners, however… if you were walking the 5K, you didn’t get a bib. We all started at the same time. We’re all lined up, and the guy on the microphone is like, “OK, I’ll give you the race directions.” and I’m like….This is different. Are you expecting us to keep track of where we have to go? Actually, I was ok with that because I’m good with directions and I really don’t want to get lost. The race started in the park, ran on a few roads, then looped back to the beginning. There were cops riding up and down the race route on motorcycles, a cop parked at every intersection, and cones with the directions on them, so there was really no risk of getting lost.

There were only 96 runners. It was probably the smallest 5K I’ve ever been to. It was for a good charity and it’s a pretty good course, so I might do it again next year.

There was this one hill though…. in Mile Two.

Wendi has the speed and I have the endurance. She would run ahead and then walk while I caught up to her, then we’d walk for a bit and start the whole thing up again. We went out of the gate at a pretty good pace and our first mile was 15 minutes and change. We must have been running pretty quickly, because we walked a few times and still managed a fairly decent time for that first mile, and that is probably why my foot started falling asleep in mile two. Damn, you foot. Damn you. In my mind, I am climbing a ladder in a warehouse to a chalkboard that says “Days Without Accidents”, wiping clean the number there and sadly drawing out a 0. Everyone in the warehouse hangs their heads in shame.

The hill came in mile two, and it took a little of our momentum. Our second mile was 17 minutes and change, which is still not too bad. It was all downhill after that, but it wasn’t enough to make up for lost time. I kept trying to shake my foot to get some feeling back into it, because I know it slows me down. Mile 3 was almost 16 minutes, and I crossed the finish line at 50:17. Wendi ran ahead of me at the finish line and I just tried to drag my numb foot along. I had regained a bit of feeling, but I just didn’t have it in me to run any faster. Legs were just tired and there was just no more oomph in me. The hill took it all.

Yes, I am disappointed in my time. I am happy to have finished and I wasn’t last like I thought I was…not that it matters, I know, but… you know. Not that I cared about being last yesterday, when I was just so proud of my sister for pushing through and running a great race. She told me that she never seems to get better, whenever she runs a mile or a 5K, it’s usually about the same time. I told her that it takes a long time to see improvement, but it does get better, that I’ve looked at blogs from months ago when I whined about the same thing, and now I can run a lot faster and longer, and then I come up with a 5K time like this? *insert grumpy noise* Serves me right for doing a tough workout at the beginning of the week and not tapering properly. Lesson learned, I guess.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s